Leading Children Towards Environmental Awareness
Table of Contents
Parents can help their children develop a love of the earth and a greater environmental awareness with simple habits and activities that have a lasting impact.
Families who choose to live in greater awareness of environmental needs can pass on these values to their children. Gentle guidance towards love and care for the earth can help green parents instill a sense of global responsibility in their kids.
Developing Green Habits
Acquiring earth-friendly habits is an integral way to lead children towards environmental awareness. There isn’t anyone action that ensures the earth’s protection. It’s a multitude of daily habits that will have a snowball effect on creating a healthy environment. Here are a few simple green practices that will build greener families:
- Recycle. This is a simple daily task that many families strangely forgo. Much like teaching children to brush their teeth, once this habit is embedded in their minds, it stays for life.
- Use rechargeable batteries. Kids tend to use up a lot of batteries, and they can learn to take responsibility for reducing their waste.
- When shopping with the children, explain why buying in bulk is better. Compare packaging and prices.
- Get rid of disposable products in the home. Use cloth napkins and do without paper plates and cups. Kids can make dishrags and kitchen towels out of old towels and t-shirts, making paper towels obsolete.
- Teach the children how to always use both sides of the paper. They can even use junk mail as parts of art projects. Eliminating waste, particularly paper waste, is an essential aspect of environmental protection.
Green Benefits of Gardening
The green benefits of gardening have a rippling effect. Teaching the children how to garden organically will spare the earth the harmful toxins most commercial gardeners use. It will get the kids directly involved in caring for the earth, and most of them enjoy getting their hands in the dirt. They get to experience the joy of having co-created healthy food with the earth. It will teach economy and a love of healthy food, as well. Add in the practice of composting and caring for the helpful living creatures that inhabit the garden, and creating a family garden nearly becomes a complete environmental science class.
Environmental Events for Kids
Hosting or participating in a local green event is another fun way to get kids exposed to beneficial environmental practices. They could start a newspaper drive to collect newsprint for recycling or to donate to local gardeners for composting and mulching. They could create a kids club and invite friends to work on conservation service projects together. Talk with the child and see what areas he is interested in and then help him to create an executable plan.
Developing environmental consciousness in children is a prime interest for green families. By exhibiting daily habits that care for the earth, maintaining a family garden, and helping the children to participate in interest-led environmental events, kids can effectively flex their green muscles.