Healthy Banana Oat Muffins Recipe: Quick and Easy Breakfast Option
Table of Contents
Who doesn’t like a good muffin? Delicious yet hearty enough to get you through the morning, they make for the perfect snack any time of day. But if your idea of a great muffin involves simple ingredients and minimal effort, then these banana oat muffins are the way to go! With healthy ingredients like bananas, honey, and rolled oats, these sweet treats will have you running to the kitchen as soon as you finish reading this post. So, grab your spatula, preheat your oven, and let’s get baking!
Recipe for Easy Banana Oat Muffins
Now that we have piqued your interest with this healthy and delicious banana oat muffins recipe, let’s dive into the ingredients you will need to whip up a batch of these scrumptious muffins.
Banana Oat Muffins are not only delicious but also a healthy breakfast option that can easily be made at home. Here are the ingredients that you will need to make these tasty treats:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped nuts, cinnamon, dried fruit
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease well with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher until well mashed and no large chunks remain.
- Add in the oats, Greek yogurt, egg, honey, vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir until well combined.
- If desired, stir in any optional add-ins at this time.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the muffins are lightly golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
These muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Enjoy!
Tips for making Banana Oat Muffins
Banana Oat muffins are a great way to satisfy your sweet cravings while also enjoying a healthy snack. Here are some tips to ensure that your muffins come out perfectly every time.
Use ripe bananas: The riper the bananas, the sweeter they are, and the more flavor they will add to your muffins. If you have overripe bananas, don’t throw them away. Instead, use them to make these delicious muffins.
Combine dry and wet ingredients separately: Combine the dry ingredients such as flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in one bowl, and the wet ingredients such as mashed bananas, eggs, and milk in another bowl. This helps to ensure that your muffins are evenly mixed and not overworked.
Fold in ingredients gently: When you’re adding the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, use a spatula to fold them in gently. Overmixing the batter can make your muffins tough and dense.
Don’t overfill the muffin cups: Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full, leaving room for the muffins to rise. Overfilling the cups can cause the batter to overflow and make a mess in your oven.
Variations of Banana Oat Muffins
If you’re looking to switch things up, there are many variations of banana oat muffins that you can try. Here are some delicious ideas to get you started:
- Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Muffins: Add a cup of chocolate chips to the batter for a sweet and decadent treat.
- Blueberry Banana Oat Muffins: Fold in a cup of fresh or frozen blueberries for a burst of fruity flavor.
- Peanut Butter Banana Oat Muffins: Mix in a half cup of creamy peanut butter for a rich and nutty taste.
- Apple Cinnamon Banana Oat Muffins: Add a chopped apple and a teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter for a cozy fall-inspired muffin.
- Carrot Cake Banana Oat Muffins: Mix in a half cup of shredded carrots and a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice for a unique twist on a classic flavor.
Health benefits and nutritional information
Not only are these banana oat muffins delicious, but they are also packed with health benefits and nutritional value.
The oats in this recipe are a great source of fiber, which can help with digestion and keep you feeling full for longer periods of time. Additionally, oats are rich in important vitamins and minerals such as manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc, and vitamin B1.
The bananas used in this recipe are also a great source of nutrition. They are high in potassium, which can help regulate blood pressure and support heart health. Bananas also contain vitamin C, which is important for immune function, and vitamin B6, which helps with brain function and mood regulation.
By using natural sweeteners like bananas and honey, you can satisfy your sweet tooth without consuming excessive amounts of sugar. These muffins are a great healthy snack option for any time of day.
Storing and freezing Banana Oat Muffins
After baking your delicious banana oat muffins, you may be wondering how to store them properly so they stay fresh for as long as possible. The good news is that these muffins can last up to a week when stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you want to extend their shelf-life, you can also freeze them. Simply place the muffins in a freezer bag or airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready to enjoy them, simply thaw them out at room temperature for a few hours or heat them up in the microwave for a quick snack.
To prevent freezer burn, you can also wrap the muffins individually with plastic wrap before storing them in the freezer. This way, you can thaw out only what you need and not have to worry about the rest of the muffins going to waste.
Conclusion and final thoughts
We hope you have enjoyed this recipe for quick and easy banana oat muffins. Not only are they a delicious treat to satisfy your sweet cravings, but they are also a healthier option compared to traditional muffin recipes.
These muffins are great for breakfast on the go, a mid-day snack, or even as a dessert after dinner. The recipe is simple and can easily be customized to your liking. Add some chocolate chips or nuts for an extra crunch or even swap out the bananas for another fruit like apples or blueberries.
We encourage you to give this recipe a try and let us know your thoughts in the comments below. Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and family who are also looking for a healthier sweet treat alternative.
Thank you for reading and happy baking!